Are you going to a cookie swap party this holiday season? Why don't you break out of the sugar cookie rut and make something a little out of the ordinary like these Mexican hot chocolate cookies, which are spiced with cinnamon and a hint of cayenne pepper and topped with roasted marshmallow. Is your mouth watering yet?
My original plan was to bake the marshmallows IN the cookie, but guess what. Marshmallows melt when baked. Who woulda thunk? So instead, my brilliant husband suggested I top the already baked cookies with marshmallow and then broil them to get them nice and toasty.
I knew I married him for a reason.
The marshmallow on top is gooey and crispy like a s'more, and the cookie beneath is rich, like your favorite cup of cocoa. You can only hardly taste the espresso powder and the cinnamon. The espresso just makes the cocoa flavor that much more rich and the cinnamon adds a hint of spice. The cayenne pepper is optional, but I can assure you it doesn't make these cookies hot-spicey. You just barely get that kick at the back of your throat.
What do you think? Have I inspired you to break out of the cookie-mold this year?




This looks SO good! What a great recipe! Talk about a perfect drink for guests during this time of year! :)
ReplyDeletehttp://sometimesgracefully.com
I'm SO making these for my cookie swap this year. Hot chocolate and marshmallows are 2 of my favorite things!
ReplyDeleteOmgosh these look delicious. I can't wait to try out the recipe!
ReplyDeleteA cookie swap sounds like a great idea!
ReplyDelete