My high school reunion was this past weekend and, for a number of reasons, I choose not to go. Mainly, it is really difficult and expensive flying to and from San Diego from Charlotte; I didn't need to waste the time or the money. But also, high school wasn't really the highlight of my life. I have only really kept in touch with one person, my maid of honor, and she isn't even in my class.
Sure, I have a few fond memories of high school and the people I knew. Through high school I seemed to fly slightly under the radar. I wasn't super popular or anything, but I was editor of the yearbook and captain of the basketball team. (Don't be too impressed, they weren't coveted positions.)
After high school I got the hell out of town. I was one of a few people to actually leave the state for college. Most of my friends stayed in California. Many going to the same school. Even today they are all really close friends. I've stayed in touch with a few, and even saw a couple friends last year on a business to San Francisco. But 99% of my class I have not seen since graduation.
And that is why I thought I didn't want to go to my reunion.
I regret not going.
Thanks to Facebook, I was able to follow some of the activity of the weekend. Just about everyone from my "group" went. They posted a picture of everyone that was almost an exact replica of a picture we all took at prom. Also, from reading through the list and seeing the pictures, I would have known everyone there. You know how there are those people from your high school who you could not put a face to their name? Most of these people I could name and would actually be able to have a meaningful conversation with.
Then, maybe the most important reason I regret not going is because I feel like I am at a really good place in my life. You know, a place where people would see me and think, "wow, Lindsey really turned out well". Is that shallow? Absolutely! But who doesn't go to their reunion wanting to impress people? I feel like I have only improved since high school. And judging from Facebook, not everyone can say the same (yes, I am really this shallow)
So, if you are coming up on a high school reunion and are on the fence about going, like I was, I have come up with a few reasons you should or should not go. I suggest you check off which ones apply to you, and if you have more "Shoulds" than "Should Nots", then you should go.
You should go if:
- You loved high school. It was the time of your life and all of your best friends are from those years. If this is you, then a high school reunion would be just like a big get together with your friends, so why wouldn't you go? - You are thinner and/or prettier than you were in high school. Let's face it, a reunion is really just a chance to show people how much better you are
- Your ex and/or arch enemy from high school is fatter and/or uglier than they were in high school. I know it is totally mean-spirited, but don't lie, you would love to see how the last 10 years chewed them up and spit them out.
- You are gainfully employed and/or in a happy, committed relationship. If you are in a good place in your life and happy with how you have lived the past 10 years, you should let people know that.
- You are single and ready to mingle. There is nothing wrong with being single, and high school reunions are probably not a bad place to find a new relationship or reignite an old one. I'll bet that geek you over looked 10 years ago is doing pretty well for himself now.
You should not go if:
- You absolutely hated high school. You look upon those years with complete and utter disdain and never want to relive those years ever again.
- You are unhappily single and your ex happily married to someone way out of their league. I mean, that is a disaster waiting to happen. I predict that you would end up getting a little too wasted and doing something (or someone...hey-o!) you regret.
- You can't drink alcohol. Unless you blossom in even the most awkward social situations, you will probably need a drink or 5 to get through the night.
- You were a bully in high school and karma has gotten back at you. All those people you picked on are just waiting to see that the past 10 years have chewed you up and spit you out. And this time, they probably won't take your crap.
- If you are incredibly successful, like so successful that every body you went to high school with tells other people that they went to high school with you. If you go, you will just have all those people kissing up to you and wanting to be your new best friend. Also, you have more important things to do.
Linking up with Weekend Shenanigans, This Weekend I, The GFC Collective, Less Laundry More Linking, Share It Link Party, Taste of Tuesday, Google Friend Conect, The Pin It Party, Pinterest Power Party, Style Sessions, Trend Spin Linkup, I Feel Pretty, What I Wore Wednesday, Random Wednesday, Wildcard Wednesday, Three-fer Thursday, Tucker Up, GYB Networking Party H54F, That Friday Blog Hop, #backthatazzup





I loathed high school! A shame because I loved my primary and midde (junior) schools. I kind of would love to do a Romy and Michelle though and hopefully karma has been served to the bullies!
ReplyDeletehaha 'yes, i really am that shallow' but i have to agree I did everything (whoopwhoop Yearbook editor) it seemed but wasn't really popular. Our school is super small and we usually do a 5 year reunion and I went but it was boring. We'll see about the 10 year.
ReplyDeleteMy ten-year-one will be in 2016...I might try to go out of sheer curiosity to see how other people turned out.
ReplyDeleteI went to mine and had a great time (and high school was not my favorite time of my life). The important thing to remember, if you do go to a reunion, is to have very low-to-zero expectations. It won't be a magical night where you suddenly reconcile all of the drama that happened in the past - but it will be fun to see where everyone ended up in life! I didn't want to go to mine, but ended up being really happy that I went.
ReplyDeleteThis is so spot on. We recently had a 10 year "anniversary" thing at my high school - not a reunion, but a celebration of 10 years since the school was founded. I was in the inaugural class so everyone expected all of us from that class to go and talk about how great it was and blah blah....I thought about going because my "enemy" from high school really did gain weight...but she is also married and I am not, and she owns a house and I do not, etc. etc. And most people I graduated with still live at home, and I am all successful and stuff living in NYC. But...was I really going to fly from NYC to Greensboro just to look at/awkwardly not talk to all of these people and judge them silently? I couldn't take my shallowness *quite* to that level haha!
ReplyDeleteLove me some Romi and Michelle. My husband didn't care to go to his reunion. He said he see's all those people all the time since it was such a small school. But I loved high school..I will for sure be attending mine. And don't worry, this will be another reunion ;)
ReplyDeletehahahaha!!!! I love the "don't go to your reunion if...." But seriously, there's no shame in wanting to show up because you're in a good place. Not a thing wrong with that! I have mine in the fall. Everyone is going to meet at the football game and then there's a dinner on Saturday night. I think I might just go to the game and not the dinner.
ReplyDeleteI just stumbled across your blog and the Romy & Michelle picture drew me in! I just needed to say YES! I'm so on your page. My 10-year reunion party is coming up in January and it's just not happening. I had a large group of "friends" in that completely superficial Mean Girls sort of way and couldn't wait to graduate. A few weeks after graduation, I got my priorities straight and only continued friendships with the few true ones. I do not need to attend a reunion with people that are still attached at the hip and haven't evolved out of "the bubble" (as I like to call it). Good for you! & your great life in Charlotte!
ReplyDeleteI'm on the planning committee for my small rural high school's 10 year reunion this fall and I'm really excited about it, but honestly I only live an hour away now and still see most of the people I really care to see, and keep up with most of the others through Facebook. My husband's reunion was the same way - we live in his hometown, so I was like, "why did we pay to see the same people we hang out with every weekend?"
ReplyDeleteNot gonna lie, being on the planning committee HAS taught me that many of my classmates have not changed one bit since high school. People have been complaining about the venue, not being able to get a babysitter, etc., yet the same group of girls who planned and pulled off every event in high school (aka my lunch table) are the same group doing everything now!
Well apparently I'm shallow too... because that would be a factor for me too, ha! I'm sorry you missed the reunion! Those things are always a hit or miss so it's hard to decide whether it's worth it or not! We went to Joey's a couple weeks ago and it was a miss, ha.
ReplyDelete