There is one big part of my life that I rarely discuss on the blog,
and I am not really sure why that is. It is something I do almost every
day and have done for over 10 years. It is a more consistent part of my
life than baking, shopping, wedding planning, or anything else I
discuss on this blog. It's exercise!
I may or may not have mentioned before that I used to
be a huge gym rat. I attribute part of that to the sports that I played
in high school. To stay in shape for basketball I would do a lot of weight
training and running. During college, my main form of exercise was the elliptical. I loved it because I could workout and study (or read a magazine) at the same time. After college I found spinning and was totally obsessed with it. In grad school, however, looking to cut back on some expenses, I dropped my gym membership, which meant no fancy weight training machines, no elliptical, and definitely no classes.
For the first time in 10 years I was on my own for my workouts. But as much as I enjoyed working out, I was just not motivated enough to make myself jump rope or do squats for an hour. I needed some help, which is how I got into workout videos! And trust me, I have tried just about all the main ones - P90X, Insanity, Zumba, TurboFire to name a few. Some did not last very long, but some have become regulars in my workout rotation.
Today, I wanted to share my thoughts on one of one of the newer workout programs to pop up, Focus T25. The T25 workout is the latest brain child of Shaun T, the creator of Hip Hop Abs and Insanity.
Basically, the idea behind T25 is that they are 25 minute workouts, broken out into 3 phases: Alpha, Beta, and Gamma. Each phase get progressively harder and within each phase there are about 5 workouts that basically cover cardio, circuit training, resistance, and abs. Simple enough, right?
The T25 workout is great for people who are trying to transition to a higher intensity workout. If you are just starting a workout program, one great thing is that they do offer a lower intensity modifier. It is also good for people that are short on time and looking for something that will still break a sweat. But if you are just looking for a quick high intensity workout, skip the Alpha phase.
I think what I like the most about this workout is that it is customizable. If I only have time for 1 workout, I can do that. Or, if I want to do a longer, full body workout, I can mix and match.
However, if you are in tip-top shape and looking for a workout that is so heart-poundingly intense that you can't get through the whole thing, this might not be the one for you. Or at least not your every day workout. I didn't find this workout to be nearly as hard as Insanity, which I consider to be a really tough workout. But like I said above, if you are looking for a transition from your current moderately intense workout to one like Insanity, this will be great!
Have you tried T25? Do you like it? Any other workout programs you think I should try?
Also, Happy Halloween!!!




I actually just ordered T25 to start on Monday! I'm excited for something new. Working out at home can be really boring sometimes. I've done TurboFire in the past but to me it just felt really repetitive all the time so hopefully this one isn't the same!
ReplyDeleteI have never heard of this one, but I want to try it! My biggest complaint with insanity and P90X is that they were so long. I have a hard time getting motivated to stand in front of the tv for 45 minutes, so this 25 minute workout would be a nice compromise. My husband and I really love Hasfit. They have work outs designed to target each part of the body, ranging from 6 minutes to 30 minutes. You just pick what you want to work out that day and go. We really like them, and they're free! You can Youtube Hasfit and they will all come up :)
ReplyDeleteXOXO
Chelsea
http://www.anchorsaweighblog.com/
I've been thinking about purchasing this for post-baby. 25 minutes could be done during nap time and the lower impact mods will benefit me while I'm getting back into the swing of things.
ReplyDeleteSO glad I came across this!! I've been wanting a real opinion of T25 and the only people I know that have done it are Beach Body "coaches"... so they sell it... so I don't EXACTLY trust that they aren't just trying to get me to buy it. :/ lol When I saw it I assumed it would be a wham bam thank you ma'am 25 minutes of Insanity but from your write up it seems a little more tame than what I'm looking for. So thank you for the honest review!! I'd still wanna try it but not necessarily at the price they're asking... lol
ReplyDelete*Krystina
http://seatofmyshorts.com
I've heard really good things about T25...glad to hear this good review! I need something like this.
ReplyDeleteI've never heard of it. I usually like his workouts too.
ReplyDeleteWe quit the gym this past Spring when we moved out of the city and I've been doing my best to stay self-motivated. This looks great! I'm new to the home workouts - J wants to try Insanity or P90X. What do you think? This T25 seems more realistic for me I think. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteI quit going to the gym last year and became a Beachbody Coach (mainly for the discount haha) and started doing Insanity. I had done P90X in the past (around 2008) and was ready to get back in shape. I never finished Insanity thanks to a rib injury I got playing some backyard football and was pretty bummed while it healed. Then came T25. I absolutely love it! I can do it every morning before work and even throw in an extra workout after if need be. Like you said, it's great for almost all levels unless you're looking to be so exhausted that you can't stand at the end (but I still have Insanity for that).
ReplyDeleteI'm doing Les Mills Body Pump (the at home beachbody version) and I love that. A year ago I never thought I'd enjoy toning and doing large amounts of reps rather than lifting big. Maybe you can look into that next
I should add, the reason I like Les Mills Body Pump is because I enjoy it. Sure, I always feel accomplished and have a great feeling when I realize how hard I just worked. But the music is wonderful. I can't tell you how many times I've been in a plank position while singing, "Working at the Car Wash!" lol. Also it has multiple trainers so you get different people working (unlike Shaun T or Tony Horton who take breaks, these trainers are working with you the WHOLE time) and motivating you to keep going.
DeleteLastly, I'm not gonna spam your blog since I'm a beachbody coach, but if anyone is interested or just have more questions, you can always just email me: Robwbrown@gmail.com