So in honor of this "holiday", I, along with some of my lovely blog friends, present to you for your entertainment: or worst dates ever!
![]() |
| The one and only picture of me doing "duck face" |
From: Follow the Ruels
Also find me on Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest
In college, a friend of a friend (let's call him "Ted") who I met at a sorority function asked me out on a date. I happily accepted since I didn't really get asked out a lot in college. He really tried to impress by taking me to the nicest restaurant in Waco (a chain steakhouse). With our steaks he insisted that we split a bottle of wine, even though I told him I wasn't much of a wine drinker. I let it slide.
When the waiter came back to bring the bottle we ordered, he, as in most restaurants, poured a small taste into the glass for Ted. Even as a non-wine drinker, I knew the proper protocol for tasting wine. "Ted" apparently did not, and took the wine like a shot. Just kicked it back and swallowed it in one gulp. If you have ever tried to chug wine before, you know it does not go down easy. He learned that the hard way and almost spit it all back up.
The nail in the coffin for poor old "Ted" was when he attempted to compliment me by telling me I was a "champion breed". hose were the exact words out of his mouth. Champion. Breed. Am I supposed to be flattered? Am I a dog? Was his idea of ideal children: pasty skin, blonde hair, and light eyes [coughHitlercough]? And why was he thinking about breeding with me anyways?!?! Gross.
As you can imagine, the night didn't end well for "Ted". You know that bottle of wine ordered? Well, guess how much of it I drank. Yep....about a glass worth. And apparently he did not want to let good wine go to waste so he tried to down the entire bottle before we left. Fortunately he did not have to drive far, because in about the 5 minutes it took to drive to my apartment, the wine took its revenge, and it all came back up.
Who: Helene
From: Helene In Between
Also find her on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram
Hi! My name is Helene and you can find my blog at Helene in Between. My worst date ever was when I was 14 years old. Now look, I know that's young but I can't help it if I'm popular. JK. I wasn't. I just liked this guy and he liked me. So he took me to a movie. He said he wanted it to be a surprise. (I should note I do not watch or like anything scary or gory).
From: Helene In Between
Also find her on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram
Hi! My name is Helene and you can find my blog at Helene in Between. My worst date ever was when I was 14 years old. Now look, I know that's young but I can't help it if I'm popular. JK. I wasn't. I just liked this guy and he liked me. So he took me to a movie. He said he wanted it to be a surprise. (I should note I do not watch or like anything scary or gory).
So because neither of us can drive, my parents drop my off at
his house and his parents drop us off at the movie. His parents hand him $20 and he go up to the ticket counter. He buys us tickets for: The Ring. I die a little inside. I am freaking out. How am I going to sit through this horror film? I tell myself I will get through it.
The movie starts and my hands go up to my eyes for the majority of
the movie. We don't hold hands since I need my hands for other things,
like bracing myself whenever the scary little girl comes on screen.
The climax of the movie is coming and I am really freaking out.
Just when I think something scary is about to happen, I screamed and
accidentally kick the chair in front of me. Very hard. The woman knocks
her drink out of her hands and I can see the cup go into the air and
land on her lap. She's livid. And starts screaming at me. So I just
leave.
I don't like this movie anyway. I go to the bathroom and ask my mom
to pick me up. It's sage to say I never went on a date with him again
and never seen the end of The Ring.
From: Toby's Tails Blog
For those of you that know me, you can attest to the fact that my dating life prior to Chris was nothing short of a catastrophe to say the least. You know that girl that dates her share of “class A a-holes”?? Yeah…I was that girl. When Lindsey asked me to share one of my worst dates ever, I literally had to rack my brain for the best one. (There were so many to choose from.) Anyway, I decided on my senior prom date story. It is rated PG and won’t embarrass the parentals, if they happen upon this post.
A couple weeks leading up to prom and I didn’t have a date. The brother of my best friend’s boyfriend didn’t have a date either so he reluctantly asked me to go with him. Literally the next week he was trying to take another girl…a sophomore at that. I told him that I would not give up my spot in our “senior” limo—that I had paid for because he was too cheap to pay for me to ride in the limo. Well, prom rolls around and I’m lookin’ hella-fine if I do say so myself. ;) My friends and I are determined to have a great time. First thing this fool says to me when we jump in the limo “hey Jaime, I only have $100 so I hope you don’t plan on ordering too much for dinner.” Excuse me?!
Needless to say, when we got to the restaurant I ordered the most expensive item on the menu.
(side note- I hated the most expensive thing on the menu and therefore did not eat but two bites of it). I starved the entire night but I felt like I sure showed him ;).
Who: Stephanie
From: Life According to Steph
Friends of my parents had a son who was two years older than me. Every Christmas our families got together to catch up. One Christmas when I was 12, he pressed a Ratt cassette tape into my hand, looked me deep in the eye, and urged me to take it home with me. I figured cool, I can listen to Round and Round on repeat. I got home, threw the tape onto the top of my bureau, and forgot about it.
He called two days later and asked if I looked inside. He had taped "Let's go to the movies" in the liner notes. I said yes, sure, the movies, let's do it. The next day my mom said, "Greg is so excited for your date. We'll pick you up." WHAT! A date? I thought we were just going to the movies. I was horrified. And 12. Too young to be dating! My parents considered it harmless since he was a family friend. I didn't know how to get out of it. I dreaded it and fretted over it. I didn't even like him. The day came and I went on the date...with my best friend in tow. I made her go, and I didn't tell him she was coming, and I made her sit in the backseat, and I acted like I was too cool the entire time. I was an immature brat. It was a completely awful evening, and my first date was a bust because of me. Lessons learned: 1. Don't be lured by cassette tapes, even if they ARE big hair bands 2. Don't date people you have no interest in just to save face, you'll end up hurting their feelings with your disinterest 3. Best friends are important.
Who: Mandy
Bless my husband's heart, he tries to plan dates. Despite his
thoughtful effort we've had a few dates that didn't turn out anywhere
near what was planned.
Our first date for example, wasn't even supposed to be a date. It
was supposed to be us and a mutual friend. Said friend backed out at the
last minute so the outing turned into a date. Impromptu planning caused
us to pick a local movie theater. Where my (very) recent ex's family
decided to also attend a movie. We picked Transformers 2, which also
happened to be a ridiculously long movie. We sat there both nervous
because it was our first date and because of my ex's family. Once the
movie was over we dashed out only to realize they had seen us any way.
Many texts from said ex came later that night. Not the most relaxing
first date but I married the man so it must have been worth it!
There is also the time where he took me on a date to
the county fair. We had been hanging out all night with a bunch of his
friends. He hung out with a lot of older people whom I was pretty
intimidated by (read: trying to impress all night) so I was on edge. I
ended up making the brother of one of his friends cry in the middle of
the grandstand event which sent me into a panic. I felt horrible, I
"went to the bathroom" so I could leave. He tracked me down just before I
drove away and coaxed me out of the car. After realizing he wasn't
going to convince me to stay, he made me answer one question before I
could leave. He asked if I would be his girlfriend. Little did I know he
was actually planning to ask me the next day because it was the 2nd and
he wanted to ask me on a memorable day (my favorite number is 2). I
ruined the surprise but I'll never forget that day.
Our history of dates hasn't always been the greatest but no matter what happens we see them as an adventure.





Fantastic stories - they had me laughing out loud and remembering all of my failed dates!
ReplyDeleteFound you via the GYB hop and looking forward to following on Bloglovin.
Kate x
http://www.kateathome.com/
I loved reading these, funny stuff! Thanks for including me.
ReplyDeleteSo funny!! Valentines Day is so over rated - fortunately my husband feels the same way!
ReplyDeleteCute post. We are new followers (GFC) from the BYG Blog Hop! If you have a chance please visit us at http://www.provocativemanners.blogspot.com
ReplyDeleteThese are fun! Thanks so much for sharing!
ReplyDeleteI'm stopping by from the Weekly Round-Up Linky Party because Aubrey recommended this post in her post! :)