Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Photographer Dilema

What's it called when you have too many good options and can't make up your mind?
Oh yeah, first world problem.
I have a major first world problem! I can't decide on a photographer for the wedding!!
Through lots of research, I have narrowed my list down to three candidates. They are all a little similar in style. Mostly photo-journalistic. And they are all basically around the same price. So it's not going to be an easy decision.
 
The first option: Meurer Images.
Backstory: They have been recommended by two people my mom works with. The first hired them to do his wedding, the second hired them after seeing the first coworkers wedding album and loved the pictures. They both have nothing but positive things to say about the experience with MI.
 
The second option: Studio Castillero
Backstory: A friend of mine used them as her wedding photographer, and I remember how much I loved her pictures the first time I saw them. When I put out a Facebook request for photographer suggestions, more than half the people recommended Studio Castillero.
 
The third option: Kristen Peele
Backstory: I just found her through the Knot and really liked her pictures and her pricing. That's it!


I know B really doesn't care as much about the pictures as I do, but I don't want him to be unhappy with them down the road, so his opinion really does matter. Unfortunately, he's not really much help. I have meetings with all of them set up when I am home for Christmas, and I think that will be the ultimate factor: who do I get along with?
I recently read this post from A Practical Wedding that basically said just that: 
 "...but I actually think that the most important part of choosing a wedding photographer is the person behind the camera. The reason is, of course, because your wedding photographer is one of the few people you are going to spend the entire day with. And nothing is worse than spending a really joyful day with someone who makes you feel really uncomfortable (or worse, really angry)."
What do you guys think is important in a wedding photographer besides style and price?
 
 
 

5 comments:

  1. Hey Lindsey! It looks to me like you have great choices! That is one thing that if I could redo parts of my wedding it would be our photographer. I love our pictures & will always cherish them but after seeing what else is out there & different styles I would choose differently.

    Make sure your photographer allows you to offer your ideas & poses in your pictures. One of my friend's photographers just did what she wanted to do & did not take into consideration my friend's ideas.

    Good luck making your choice!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I nominated your blog for The Liebster Award! It's on my blog today.

    Significance or Nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the most important thing about a photographer is that they are willing to listen to the things you want and not only go by what they like. It's important that they know your expectations and when their expertise is needed and when to allow you to take the reigns and pose yourself for certain things. Just my opinion :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg, I have actually heard of Studio Castillero! I have only heard amazing reviews. Their pictures are to die for. They are typically unique and I also here they are extremely nice!!! But What is most important is that you get along with them. My sister in law picked her dream photographer for her wedding and he ended up being an ass. So last minute she picked someone that did amazing pictures and that she got along with extremely well. In the end, that photographer now shoots all her photography. From when the baby was born, to just regular photoshoots!

    Good luck picking the perfect one for you<333

    xox Yesi<3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a stellar photographer for my October wedding in Florida. It was meant to be an entirely outdoor ceremony in a garden, but it literally rained the entire day of my wedding. From 4am Saturday morning and kept on going well into Sunday morning.

    But my photographer didn't care! She called me to ask what our contingency plan was, but she brought giant umbrellas and her assistant who was more than happy to get rained on to provide the extra lighting necessary during outdoor shots. We moved everything inside, of course, to the reception site, but I still had to walk outside to get to the aisle unseen by the guests and fiance, plus we did some outdoor shots. It was amazing that she was able to work in the garden still.

    Basically my advice is go with someone who is legitimately great at what they do. Because if they know their craft and their equipment, they will be able to work with all kinds crappy conditions and still make your photos look AMAZING. Mine do! We have a gorgeous fun shot of me and my husband kissing in the rain under an umbrella just as we're leaving the reception.

    One of my favorite things about the photographer I chose was also her very straightforward attitude and approach. I planned my entire wedding from across the country, so I never met her until that day. But I read her blog and decided she was enough similar to me and my outlook that it would work.

    Other than the posed/planned shots, I never even noticed her at the wedding or reception, which is critical if you truly want to get a photojournalism approach.

    If you want some questions to ask your photographer potentials, ask them how they handle unexpected weather or lighting conditions. It should give you insight to how well they know their equipment and photography in general. Also ask some questions about their other interest, hobbies, jobs, etc. My photographer had two dogs, so I mentioned that I loved dogs. I think having a level of friendly bond helps -- especially when you're alone in the rain waiting to enter your wedding ceremony, and the only person with you is your photographer! Which happened to me, and I was so glad she was there to make a joke or two with while I was nervous.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I try to reply to all comments by email!