If you read this post, you may recall that my grandfather was a Marine in WWII. One of my favorite parts of the service (but also when I sobbed uncontrolably) was when the honor guard gave him a 21 gun salute and presented my grandmother with the folded flag and the 21 shells. I think just about everyone in the family lost it at that point. Something about the pomp and circumstance made funeral ever more poignant and emotional.
Needless to say I am emotionally and physically exhausted. But I am definitely not complianing. First of all, San Diego is not a bad place to come back to every once and a while (even those these damn Californians keep complaining about the "heat", i.e. anything over 75 degrees). And now I have 1 more excuse to visit one of my favorite places, Fort Rosecrans National Cemetary. Just a couple miles down the road from my mom's house, I always take a run down there and back when I am home. It's weird to say that a cemetary is one of my favorite places, but it is just so beautiful and has so much history. And now whenever I am home, I can run down and stop by to say hi to grandpa.
And now on to Friday Favorites...
As you may be able to guess, I don't have too many favorites from the week. Next week, I promise things will get back to normal.
But, I would love to hear about your favorites trom the week!! Link up, below! All we ask is that you follow Jennifer or I on some platform (GFC, Bloglovin, Twitter, etc.) and that you link back and share the link-up with your readers!


I'm sorry that this week wasn't that great for you- it's good that you're able to look at the bright side though! Hopefully next week is happy again :)
ReplyDeletexo, Hima
Hima Hearts
Sorry to hear about your grandpa, but I'm glad you got to spend some time with your family!
ReplyDeleteSo sorry for your loss.
ReplyDeleteSending you love, strength, and happy memories! xoxo
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful service that must have been! So sorry for your loss, but how cool for your family and your grandma. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteSo sorry for your family's loss...I've been down that road and it's hard. I'm sure the service was beautiful and so glad you got to be with your family! :) Lots of virtual {{{hugs}}} coming your way!
ReplyDeleteSo sorry to hear about your grandfather. Mine was a WWII Marine as well, it sounds like you had a very special, fitting service for a great man!
ReplyDeleteSo sorry Lindsay! But what a beautiful way to remember your granfather. The pomp and circumstance really is emotional and so touching. Enjoy your time home surrounded by family, reminiscing.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry about your grandfather. I'm glad you could be with your family for the services.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry for your loss. All things considered, it sounds like a good visit and a fitting tribute to your grandfather.
ReplyDeleteSo sorry for your loss.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry for your loss. I lost my grandfather two years ago (Navy in WW2) and there truly is something beyond emotional and beautiful about the salute veterans and their widows receive. Much deserved. <3
ReplyDeleteThat cemetary is a lovely place. I am sorry about your grandfather.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry for your loss... I know how a military funeral service feels... :(
ReplyDeleteLindsey i'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I hope you will find some comfort though in all the wonderful memories you have and know that your grandpa lived a full life.
ReplyDelete