Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Why Blogging is Ruining my Life

Ok, I wouldn't say it is ruining my life. Ruin is a strong word. But I bet it got your attention.
 
Source
Really, for the most part blogging is a pretty enjoyable endeavor. Obviously, or I wouldn't be doing it. But there are times where I feel like blogging is a burdon. It's an addictive cycle of creating, producing, and writing then waiting for any acknowldgement of agreement, enjoyment, or praise. Which sometimes comes, and sometimes doesn't. 
 
Over the past few months I have contemplated why I blog and what I get from blogging. Most of the reasons are positive. But there are some things that have resulted from blogging that are not so positive. 
 
For instance...
 
1. The need to keep up with the Jones's. If you tell me you don't try to keep up with your friends or compare your lifestyle to that of your friends, you are either a liar or a saint. It's pretty natural to try to keep up your standard of living with those you spend most of your time with. But when you blog, your network of friends and acquaintances grows exponentially. So suddenly you feel the need to keep up with that girl with the amazing style blog that probably spends as much on her wardrobe in a month as you do in a year. I work from home and rarely leave the apartment during the week, why would I need a $5,000 purse, $800 shoes, and 5 different styles of chambray shirts?
 
2. The need to keep up with what the Jones's are doing. By that I mean, I have become even more addicted to social media since I started blogging. I am constantly checking Instagram to see what people are eating for dinner or what they wore to work. So, if you are ever thinking, "why the hell am I posting this picture? No one wants to see this." I probably do. Same with Twitter. Sometimes, you people can't tweet enough! I get so bored at work some days that I will probably read every tweet in my feed twice. Yes, it's sad. 

3. The need to be validated. I guess none of us really get into blogging for shits and giggles. We want to share our experiences, stories, knowledge, and creativity with each other. But do you find that when no one comments on your post that you are kind of let down? I always think, "why don't they like me?" or "why don't they like my blog?". And it only gets worse the longer you blog. You put effort into each post, and you want people to read it and like it, right? It would be great if I could just post whatever the hell I wanted without any concern what you all thought. But more than half the time I am just hoping you tell me how good you think my post is. 

4. Viewing everyone as competition. This one is kind of ridiculous, because blogging is not a zero-sum game. You are not limited to the number of blogs you can follow, so why should I care if you follow one blog over another. Well, I don't really. But I find myself comparing my blog and myself to other blogs and bloggers. Their writing style, the number of followers they have, how many comments they get, what they write about, their outfit choice, the quality of their pictures, etc. Everything is a competition to me. Not that I am winning at any competitions. But it sure does make me pretty judgmental sometimes, which is not a quality I  admire in myself.
 
5. Everything has to be a blogable moment. "Oh hey honey, dinner is almost ready but you have to wait 10 minutes so I can take 50 photographs." "Babe, can you hold your drink up so it looks like you are cheers-ing me so I can Instagram this." "I need to bring a change of shoes so we can take an outfit picture later." Any of these sound familiar? I feel like lately, everything I do has to something I can blog about later. B knows that after I make a particularly good meal, that I am going to take a bunch of pictures. Or on those rare days where I actually get dressed up, he knows he's on call to take outfit pictures. It's great and all to stuff to blog about, but I feel like the blog is now dictating what I do with my life. 

Is there anything that blogging has brought to your life that are not all that positive? Do you ever contemplate why you blog?

 
 

23 comments:

  1. I completely agree with this post! We become aware that we are a slave to the blog...but still continue to do it. But it is what it is...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh do we somehow share a brain?! I feel the same way! Especially about the comparing yourself to other bloggers and being let down when people don't react to your posts the way you expected. It's always like "why does everyone have more followers than me? Why isn't my blog generating more traffic and comments?"
    One time I happened to wake up at like 4am, checked my blog for comments and realized I lost a follower. I was crushed and depressed for a couple days. Haha how silly

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! I have to remind myself that my blog is just about three months old so I need to stop comparing myself to more established bloggers. On our last holiday though, I asked my husband to get out of shot or wait whilst I took pics! : /

    Louisa @ My Family & Abruzzo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, all of this. It's hard when people don't comment especially when you spend hours on a long post that you feel is awesome. I am planning a wedding right now so I don't have a lot of money to spend on paid sponsors. I've never done it yet. So that's probably why I don't have as many followers as others and It is discouraging. No lie. But I believe you get out of it what you put into it so I will continue to produce hoping that one day it will get bigger.

    Ginny
    www.buttergirldiaries.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with this post, but I like to think that I wouldn't dress up if I didn't have a blog to post for. I might put extra details so I can share it on my blog, but sharing it with my friends is even more fun!

    I guess you have to do it for you, and then the blog, right? And it is SO HARD not to compare yourself to others. Anytime. Ever.

    Love this post, it's all totally true!

    xo Becky
    Seductive Mania

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree with this post, but I like to think that I wouldn't dress up if I didn't have a blog to post for. I might put extra details so I can share it on my blog, but sharing it with my friends is even more fun!

    I guess you have to do it for you, and then the blog, right? And it is SO HARD not to compare yourself to others. Anytime. Ever.

    Love this post, it's all totally true!

    xo Becky
    Seductive Mania

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with ya on a lot of these! And I think I'd add that my time on the computer {as much I love the blogosphere} takes away from my time "in real life"...which can be quite the bummer! It's all about balance...and not giving a shit sometimes. ;)

    http://sometimesgracefully.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post! And I totally agree, I don't like how attached to social media having a blog has made me. But I do love looking back over the past year and seeing things we've done, places we've visited, etc - the reason I started blogging to begin with. Love Grace's response above, as hard it seems at times, it's all about balance. I've had a lot of those days lately where I find myself deciding no blog post tomorrow, I'm going to enjoy this evening with another glass of wine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know what you mean, especially the commenting part... I haven't been able to be as "in touch" with the community lately and when I see less comments, I feel like people don't like me. It couldn't possibly just be that other people are busy too...

    I also find that I miss you guys when I can't read every day. It's funny how connected you can feel to people you've never met!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha, I love number 5. Pre-cooking meals so I can have 15 minutes to photograph.

    Definitely have become more of a slave to my twitter, too :)

    Kallie @ But First, Coffee

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you pretty much nailed it down! This is totally my life sometimes, especially the competition part. I check pics on Instagram a couple of times too.

    Britney @ The Princess & Her Cowboys

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's important to remember that people put *what they want* on their blog. Yeah, their kids have perfectly-combed hair and their dinner looks like it came from an upscale restaurant, but what they don't show you is the dirty dishes, the kids coming in from the back yard with mud all over their legs, the laundry that is still on the bed and hasn't been put away, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes to all of this. It takes so much time! When I first started blogging, someone told me that my most random posts would get tons of comments and the ones with my true feelings would probably get none. I try not to worry too much. I have made some great, real life friends through blogging, but sometimes I do get caught up in the bad and shut down and have to not think about it for awhile!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I relate to #3 and #5. Not so much the rest. Especially not #1, actually! I wouldn't call myself a saint, I'm just kind of strange and self-centered and more concerned with improving my business and my situation than how it compares to other people's. *shrug*

    - Lix | A Classic Notion

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can pretty much relate to all of this. I hate how addicted I've become to social media. Were it not for blogging I probably would have never created a twitter, instagram or pinterest account. It used to bother me a lot more that I wasn't as "liked" as some of the other blogs but I'm over it....for the most part. I can only be me and therefore my blog can only be what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You hit the nail on the head my friend. I relate to every single point you made and it can definitely make you second guess why the heck you do it at all. I had to take a step back at one point and re-evaluate why I started my blog and what I want to get out of it…it's so easy to get caught up in "blogging" and the "rules" that come along with it. I just wanted it to be a fun hobby, never something that made me feel insecure and most certainly never something that took over my life (which it can so easily do if you let it!) Anyways, I really loved this post and appreciate your honesty!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I totally understand. that is partly why I quite blogging. even though My mom liked it. I seriously got about as many comments (total for 2 years) as you have on this post. With three kids trying to get din din on the table is hard enough without trying to take pics, and I never know how the pioneer woman does it.

    Personally I enjoy your blog, not just saying that cause I am family, and I am jealous of your wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Did you write this post just for me? I can totally relate! Keep up the good work; I'm loving the blog, even though I don't comment every day ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh i've been blogging for almost 3 years and i rarely get comments, sometimes its a let down but i try to brighten my mood thinking i enjoy writting and not getting comments doesent means nobody reads my posts.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've been struggling with this so much lately. I started a blog originally to keep my family up-to-date when I moved away from home. Now that we're back, it's not that I'm not loving blogging as much, but I'm just not as driven as I was to blog as I was before. I think the biggest challenge I face and need to tackle is to just blog for me. Forget what you mentioned (basically all of the topics you wrote about above) and be OK with only blogging every once in a while. In the end, the space I create is only going to be for me and 30 years from now I'll be the only one who cares.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my gosh! I so feel you! Love love love your honesty!
    I'm a stay at home, hate modeling for the camera kind of girl, and, the more I try to blog, the more I feel pressure to take photos of EVERYTHING and even, egads, possibly force myself in front of the camera (eep!). There are some blogs I just can't even look at because I get so jealous of the beautiful homes, outfits, women, and overwhelming numbers of followers.
    Then, I really have to remember that I started the blog as a journal and, recently, to allow family and friends to stay updated after we moved across the country. If I only want to post pictures of the scenery and furballs, I can do that. If I never post another recipe or any DIY projects, that is totally okay. And it's awesome if someone else is posting gorgeous pictures of their beautiful selves and homes. It's out space, we do what we want to ;]

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my gosh I am laughing out loud as you are reading my thoughts! All of you! Thank God I'm not the only one! I just started my blog a couple of months ago and I have so much to learn so mine looks so basic, but I'm willing to learn all that I can.

    I too was a blog follower for a few years that never commented on posts. I feel so bad and stupid now for never commenting! Well, once I started my blog I quickly learned the importance of seeing comments...even only getting one so far. I now make it a point of commenting when I can.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I try to reply to all comments by email!