Tuesday, August 14, 2012

See You in Rio

This is a really long post about the Olympics. If you could care less or are sick of the Olympics you probably don't want to read this. You have been warned. 


I meant to post this yesterday, but I just didn't get around to it. And if I am being honest. The Olympics hasn't ended for me yet. As I sit here writing, I am also watching the mens basketball gold medal game against Spain. Did I watch it on Sunday? Yes. Do I care? No. As I have said many times over the last 3 weeks: I love the Olympics. Eventually, I will let it go, and get back to watching my typical TV line up (thank goodness So You Think You Can Dance starts up again this week!), but for now, I will take in as much of the obscure sporting world as I can.


The host city of London made this Olympics extra special and entertaining. Why? Kate and Wills. B makes fun of me all the time for my girl crush on Kate (for the record...he has a huge man crush on Ryan Reynolds). I would love to go shopping with her or just hang out and watch some tennis at Wimbledon. You know...whatever. Despite your feelings for the young royal couple, you have to admit that the pictures of them taking in many of the events over the past couple weeks made them look pretty down to earth and...well...normal. The following selection of pictures could be titled: Royals - They're just like us!


Being a nervous fan at women's field hockey

Doing the Wave
Are they dancing? I hope so!
Joking around.


But what I truly love about the Olympics is that the small-time sports and the non-celebrity athletes of diving, weightlifting, wrestling, swimming (sort of), volleyball, water polo, rowing, etc. finally get their day. And sometimes, those big-time celebrity athletes become fans of the small-time non-celebrity athletes. During the men's basketball gold medal game some of the players talked about the Olympians who inspired them. Kobe said Misty May Trainer and Kerry Walsh (obvious choice). LeBron said Michael Phelps (very obvious choice). Kevin Durant said Katie Ledecky. Katie Ledecky!! I love that!! Even if you watched the Olympics she might not have come across your radar. She's the 15 year old swimmer who won the gold in the 800 meter freestyle. You have got to think she's going to go back to high school to tell her friends, "Umm...yeah...Kevin Durant knows who I am."

Men's Basketball at swim meet


I had a lot of favorite moments of these games. McKayla Maroney NAILING that vault will be something that I don't know if I will forget. It was just incredible. I might have teared up when Gabby Douglas won the gold in the gymnastics all around. I loved watching the sportsmanship of Kirani James and Oscar Pistorias. I also loved watching the bench warmers for the men's water polo team the athleticism of the men's water polo games. You know what else was cool? Kobe Bryant tearing up at the end of his last Olympic game. It's cool to see these big shots get so excited about a game they aren't really getting paid to play (even though he thinks he should). You can tell they truly love representing their country and winning a gold medal may be paramount to winning an NBA Championship. Maybe.

The near-perfect vault

Kirani and Oscar

Water polo

I will probably take advantage of all the repeat coverage on the NBC Sports Network over the next week, then I will put the Olympics behind me. But I sure can't wait for Rio! Maybe B and I will actually GO to that Olympics.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't watch much of the Olympics (women's basketball and soccer, a little bit), but I got super-excited about the Spice Girls reunion at the closing ceremonies.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I try to reply to all comments by email!