Thursday, July 18, 2013

Worst Wedding Songs Ever

A few years ago, B and I went to a wedding - a day time Catholic wedding, no less - where they played "Blame it on the Alcohol" at the reception. We didn't really know what to think. Are they saying that we should blame the marriage on the alcohol? Or just the really inappropriate dancing? Either way, we think it sent the wrong message.

That got us thinking, what would be the best worst songs to play at a wedding reception. Don't get us wrong, these songs are awesome (most of them), but probably would be taken the wrong way. (But if you play ALL of these songs are your wedding reception, you will probably be our new best friends)


1. Gold Digger - Jamie Foxx

That's an obvious pick for worst wedding song, right? No bride wants to be called a gold digger at her own wedding.
She take my money when I'm in need/ Yeah she's a trifling friend indeed/ Oh she's a gold digger way/ over town/ That digs on me...


2. Dance - Big Sean
How could you go wrong with a song called "Dance" to get all your wedding guests on the dance floor, right? Well, unless you only invited frat guys to your wedding, you might want to pass. Here's how it starts...
Ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass/ Stop, now make that motherf**** hammer time like...
Literally, the lyrics read "Ass x 22".

 
3. I Love It - Icona Pop

Great song, right? I bet you rock out to it in your car, don't you? But it might send the wrong message to your groom to be...
I got this feeling on the summer day when you were gone./ I crashed my car into the bridge. I watched, I let it burn./ I threw your shit into a bag and pushed it down the stairs./ I crashed my car into the bridge./ I don't care, I love it./ I don't care.


4. I'm Going To Find Another You - John Mayer
I love John Mayer, and he has some beautiful songs that would great for a romantic slow dance, except this one...
So go on baby/ Make your little get away/ My pride will keep me company/ And you just gave yours all away/ Now I'm gonna dress myself for two/ Once for me and once for someone new/ I'm gonna do somethings you wouldn't let me do/ Oh I'm gonna find another you 


5. Right Round - Flo Rida ft. K$sha

This is a subtle one. Its fun, its catchy, it could be about a turn table....but its about a stripper. Not wedding appropriate. 
From the top of the pole, I watch her go down/ She got me throwing my money around/ Ain't nothing more beautiful to be found/ It's going down down


6. Tequila Makes Her Clothes Fall Off - Joe Nichols
I am pretty sure that this one, like Gold Digger, speaks for itself.
She can handle any champagne brunch/ A bridal shower with Bacardi punch/ Jello shooters full of Smirnoff/ But tequila makes her clothes fall off


7. A Song For Mama - Boyz II Men

Ok, so this is a beautiful and sweet song. I could be a good mother-son dance song. But do you really want the most romantic and emotional song at your wedding to be to the grooms mother. Like, I would be a bit concerned if B were dancing with his mom to this song.
Mama, mama, you know I love you/ Mama, mama you're the queen of my heart/ Your love is like tears from the stars/ Mama I just want you to know your love is like food to my soul/ Never gonna go a day with out you/ Fills me up just thinking about you/ I'll never go a day with out my mama 


8. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For - U2
I am sure your parents would love to hear some U2, just make sure that it's not this song. Or if is, you might want to find out who requested it...
I have run/ I have crawled/ I have scaled these city walls/ These city walls/ Only to be with you/But I still haven't found what I'm looking for/ But I still haven't found what I'm looking for

What other songs would you never play at your wedding?


Linking up for: The Bloglovin Collective



9 comments:

  1. Pretty sure Right Round was played at our reception.

    The worst one I've heard was "You're So Vain" played at one point. Not a great message to send to a bride.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Baby Got Back" by Sir Mix-a-Lot

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHAHA! this is great! and all so true! Quit playing games with my heart is one of those. but i love BSB

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha this is hilarious! Adriana got me thinking of boy bands - another one you shouldn't play is Bye Bye Bye by N Sync.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are all fantastic, I suggest you play at least one, i've voting right round.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When we were picking the songs for our reception, I was really picky about the first dance song. Like if every single lyric didn't work for me, I kicked a song out, which was sometimes heartbreaking because the chorus of "I'll be there for you" by Bon Jovi describes our relationship exactly, but if you listen to the verses you realize that she's leaving and he's trying to get her to stay. That is the opposite of marriage.

    As for the music for dancing, I wasn't super picky as long as it wasn't too trashy. We had a disco/funk band, though, so that cut out a lot of potential bad choices. We did have "Superfreak" though. I didn't mind. It's a fun song to dance to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so funny! And I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thinks of these things. I went to a wedding where they played LMFAO Shots and waiters came out with trays of shots...I mean fun! But...at my wedding? Also have heard "Two the windows, to the walls, till the sweat..." ew. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Omg that boyz II men song would be so scary as a mother-son for me, like would maybe concern me! We definitely had some trashy songs played later in the night!

    ReplyDelete
  9. at the wedding I went to the other weekend the couple did a mashup for their first dance song - they started dating 12 years ago, so the song started with Drops of Jupiter, which was big when we were 15, and, because they broke up and got back together a lot for the first 6 or 7 years of their relationship, it switched to Taylor Swift "We Are Never Ever Ever Getting Back Together"! I can't remember what the mashup ended with, but it was hilarious. it was so them!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I try to reply to all comments by email!