The ingredients are pretty basic, mostly stuff you would probably have in your pantry. Maybe except for the fresh Thyme, but you can definitely substitute the fresh stuff with the dry stuff. Also, what isn't shown in the pictures above: butter, oil, bay leaves, salt & pepper. So first things first, cut up all 4 onions. I think I have become immune to crying from cut onions because I have made this soup so many times. But even if the onions do get to you, it is well worth a few minutes of crying for this soup. Add the cut onions to a pot with the garlic, oil, and butter and let them sweat!
This will probably take a while. You don't have to babysit them, but don't walk away for too long or else they might burn. I mean, I wouldn't mind burned onions, but you may. It took me about 30 minutes on medium/medium high heat to get them to cooked down and translucent. Then that's when the party gets started....add in the wine, thyme, and bay leaves and just let it all simmer together.
I could probably eat those onions just like that. Carmelized and soaked in wine? What could be better. Well, that covered in cheese. Once the wine has pretty much evaporated, add in all the broth and bring it back to a boil to let the flavors all meld together. Meanwhile, toast some of your favorite bread. I use plain ol' French bead, but you could really use anything...or nothing! I also like to rub a freshly cut garlic clove on the toasted bread while it is still hot, before I stick the bread in soup.
One you are ready, ladle the soup into a bowl and place on a baking sheet. Top with toasted bread and cheese, then stick in the broiler for a couple minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly and delicious. {Excuse me while I wipe the drool off my chin}
I guess it goes without saying that this soup does not have to be consumed with bread and cheese. Actually, its quite healthy without that yummy stuff.
See full list of ingredients and directions after the jump!
French Onion Soup
Ingredients
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 4 onions (white or yellow variety), sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs of Thyme (or 1/2 tsp of the dried stuff)
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 quart beef stock
- 1 quart vegetable stock
- Gruyere cheese, grated
- French bread, sliced and toasted
- In a big pot over medium heat, add the oil, onions, butter, and garlic. Stir every few minutes so that the don't burn. After about 15 minutes, add the bay leaves and Thyme. Cook until soft, brown and caramelized, about 30 minutes.
- Once caramelized, add the wine and simmer until almost completely evaporated. Next add the beef and vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Once at a boil, turn the heat down and simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- When ready to serve, ladle into individual bowls, cover the surface of the soup with toasted bread, then top with cheese. Place bowls on a baking sheet and broil for 1 to 2 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Dig in!





No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I try to reply to all comments by email!