Sunday, October 14, 2012

Sunday Social

This week's Sunday Social linkup is all about books. And I have to admit, I am not much of a reader. I really wish I was. I wish I could go back in time and make myself read more as a kid. But the fact is, reading is not my go-to pastime so my answers may be kind of lame!


1. What was your favorite childhood book?
I remember loving those R.L. Stine Goosebump books. I would check them out of the school library every week. That was probably the first book series that made reading fun for me.



2 . What is your favorite book you've read lately?
Ok, I ask you to keep an open mind with both of my books. Despite your political leanings, both of these books are well written and very informative. The first is Killing Lincoln by Martin Dugard and Bill O'Riley (Trust me...keep an open mind). It is written like a thriller, and while some details area obviously fictionalized, the big details around the assassination of Lincoln are factual. It is a great read and if you have kids, there is a youth version that I wish was around when I was in school because history was not interesting to me, and this book makes history interesting. It is absolutely not politically based.


The other is the Post American World by Fareed Zakaria (almost 180 degree from Bill O'Riley). This is a nonfiction book about what Mr. Zakaria believes is the future of our country and what factors have led us to our current situation. I highly, highly recommend it and I implore you to put aside your political stance when considering this book.


3. What book do you wish you could live in?
Probably Harry Potter. I never did finish the series (I know, I need to do that), but how cool would it be to live in that world with the magic and the quidditch!



4. If you could be any character from a book who would it be and why?
This is a hard one. Seriously. I mean, what makes my favorite books and characters so good is that they typically go through something very trying or dramatic, then at then end it everything turns out great. So, with that in mind, there is nothing I like more than a good historical love story. I would be either Lizzy from Pride and Prejudice or Angel from Redeeming Love.

5. What is your favorite book turned into a movie?
Pride and Prejudice. Both movies are excellent (I credit the original 6 hour mini-series for the 4 I got on my AP English exam).  Most books turned movie are so disappointing. 


6. What are your favorite magazines?
Definitely Martha Stewart Living. I get tons of ideas from that magazine (which reminds me, I need to renew it). I also love picking up a Lucky Magazine when I am flying. It's definitely a guilty pleasure.


If you haven't already, join the link up and let us know what some of your favorite books are!


3 comments:

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I try to reply to all comments by email!