Thursday, February 21, 2013

And the Oscar Goes to...

The Oscars are on Sunday, which means that promises I made to myself to watch all the Best Picture nominees will go unfulfilled, yet again.

I have actually seen quite a few of the Best Picture nominees this year, so I feel like I can actually make educated guesses on who I think will win. Below is my list of who I think will win as well as who I want to win (not always the same) for some of the main Oscar nomination categories.

**legend** 
Bold = seen it
Red = I think will win
Blue = I want to win
Purple = Both


Best Picture
Amour
Life of Pi
Argo [Winner]
Lincoln
Beasts of the Southern Wild
Silver Linings Playbook
Django Unchained
Zero Dark Thirty
Les Miserables
Notes: Argo was definitely the best movie I saw all year. Zero Dark Thirty was a close second. Lincoln was disappointing. Django was...well, interesting. Typical Tarantino. The Oscars clearly hate Ben Afleck for some reason, so I doubt Argo will win.

Best Actor in a Leading Role
Bradley Cooper, Silver Linings Playbook
Joaquin Pheonix, The Master
Daniel Day Lewis, Lincoln [Winner]
Denzel Washington, Flight
Hugh Jackman, Les Miserables
Notes: Obviously DDL is the favorite in this category. He did an excellent job, so I won't be disappointed to see him win. But Denzel was pretty incredible in Flight.
Best Actress in a Leading Role
Jessica Chastain, Zero Dark Thirty
Quvenzhane Wallis, Beasts of the Southern Wild
Jennifer Lawrence, Silver Linings Playbook [Winner]
Naomi Watts, The Impossible
Emmanuelle Riva, Amour
Notes: I don't have enough knowledge to really weigh in here. I thought Jessica was great, but I have heard great things about Naomi, too. I would LOVE to see Quvenzhane win, though

Best Actor in a Supporting Role
Alan Arkin, Argo
Robert DeNiro, Silver Linings Playbook
Philip Seymour Hoffman, The Master
Tommy Lee Jones, Lincoln
Christopher Waltz, Django Unchained [Winner]
Notes: This one is hard for me. Christopher Waltz was soo good in Django, and since saw it recently it, his performance in Django sticks out to me the most.

Best Actress in a Supporting Role
Amy Adams, The Master
Sally Field, Lincoln
Ann Hathaway, Les Miserables [Winner]
Helen Hunt, The Sessions
Jacki Weaver, Silver Linings Playbook
Notes: Again, not enough information here. I did not, however, care for Sally Field's performance. At. All. 

Best Directing
Amour, Michael Haneke
Beasts of the Southern Wild, Benh Zeitlin
Life of Pi, Ang Lee [Winner]
Lincoln, Steven Spielberg
Silver Linings Playbook, David O. Russell
Notes: Ben Afleck's direction of Argo was outstanding and he definitely deserves the Oscar. He's not nominated?!? Well F*CK you, Oscar nominating committee...
Sorry, just needed to get that out.

Best Writing -Adapted Screenplay
Argo, Chris Terrio [Winner]
Beasts of the Southern Wild, Lucy Alibar & Benh Zeitlin
Life of Pi, David Magee
Lincoln, Tony Kushner
Silver Linings Playbook, David Russell
Notes: I have not been hiding my feeling for Argo very well, so clearly you know which way I'm leaning. But it would be cool to see BotSW win!
Best Writing - Original Screenplay
Amour, Michael Haneke
Django Unchained, Quentin Tarantino [Winner]
Flight, John Gatins
Moonrise Kingdom, Wes Anderson & Roman Coppola
Zero Dark Thirty, Mark Boal
Notes: Just like the supporting Actor category, this one is hard for me. I think all 4 were very well written. I might give the edge to Django, though, despite the excessive use of the 'N' word.

So, what do you think? Do you agree with any of my picks? Disagree? Would love to hear what you think!


1 comment:

  1. Wow. I don't think I realized how few movies I've seen this year before seeing this list. lol

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I try to reply to all comments by email!