Wednesday, February 13, 2013

What I am Giving up for Lent

Typically I know what I am giving up for Lent well in advance of Fat Tuesday and Ash Wednesday. This year, I didn't make up my mind until today.

Last year I gave up sugar. The year before - soda, a recurring favorite. One year I gave up gossiping. Yeah, that didn't really work out well. Other than that, I haven't really given up (or added) something that was behavior based. It has mostly revolved around food.

So, this year I decided to change a behavior and give up multitasking. That may seen strange, because multitasking can be a pretty beneficial behavior. Specifically what I am going to give up is multi-screen-tasking. To me that means, sitting in front of the TV with my laptop, my phone to my right and an iPad to my left. I have probably tried to function on all 4 at the same time before. B has caught me watching TV with both my work laptop and personal laptop out at the same time.

But what am I really accomplishing? NOTHING!

So, for Lent. When I am sitting in front of the TV, I will only be watching TV and spending time with B. I won't be on Pinterest, blogging, or playing Ruzzle (awesome game - you should download it).

When I need to work at night, I will be in my office away from the TV or iPad and just concentrating on getting my work done. I will probably get it done faster and then can spend more quality time with B.

Also, I will not be writing up blog posts and watching TV at the same time either. It may impact the quantity of blog posts I put out each week, but I can tell that B is starting to resent the blog a little bit because he thinks it takes time away from him.

I think B will appreciate this most of all. He definitely likes attention and can get a little crabby when he doesn't get it.

So, I apologize in advance if I don't post as much in the next 40+ days, but I think you guys will understand.

What are you giving up for lent?

6 comments:

  1. Thats a great thing to give up for lent! I'm thinking about sodas myself but we shall see!

    Jaime {Toby's Tails}

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea! Multi-tasking is so easy, but it really can be counter productive. Thanks for sharing!

    Andrea
    alhadventures.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! I am huge offender of this myself. I am giving up my morning coffee...this should be interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is an interesting idea. I do the same thing, and if you told me I would have to stop doing more than one thing at a time, I would cry and be terrified haha. Good luck with that, let me know if it makes you feel better or more concentrated, that would be interesting to know, because I strongly believe I'm a master of multitasking ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never give up anything for Lent, I don't observe it. BUT this year...I'm adding something. 40 minutes of exercise every day of Lent!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, I'm a new follower! Found you at the GYFBH!

    I'd love it if you can follow me back :)

    xoxo
    ochibernadas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I try to reply to all comments by email!