Tuesday, February 19, 2013

What I Will Do With My Tax Refund

I am probably one of the .00001% of Americans that doesn't mind doing their taxes.

Oh, I am the only one, you say?

I probably don't mind because 1. I like math, and 2. I don't have a lot of deductions, credits, exemptions, etc. that make it more complicated.

3. Most importantly, I get money!

I know, I know, getting a tax refund is like "giving the government an interest free loan", but there is just something about getting a big fat check at the end of the year that is kind of moral boosting.

And like any good American, I am going to do my part to stimulate the economy and spend it!

Here is what I could do with my tax refund:

1. Update my wardrobe.
I don't believe an explanation is necessary.

Spring Spree


2. Buy my wedding shoes 
I've had my eyes on these Jimmy Choo's. I still don't know if I would be physically able to buy expensive shoes that I will wear one day and be hidden by my dress....but aren't they pretty?
Jimmy Choo Lace Mary Jane
3. A new lens for my camera.
I absolutely love my Sony NEX-5n. It is the perfect combination of a compact point-and-shoot, with the functionality and versatility of a DSLR.The camera came with a fairly standard 18-55mm lens, but I think I would get a lot of use out of a wide aperture lens.

4. Put it towards student loans.
As ironic as it is, I could take the money that I have "loaned" the government and pay back the loan the government has given me. That would be the practical and responsible thing to do. And even though it is not as fun as the others, this is probably what I will do with it.


Are you planning on getting a check from Uncle Sam? What are you going to do with it?

3 comments:

  1. My husband is an independent contractor, we always owe! I haven't gotten anything back since we started filing jointly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was SUPER excited to file mine, because I always overpay so I get this fun "free" money back. I have settled on what I think is a "somewhat balanced" approach - one third to credit card/debt, one third to savings, and one third for fun. That way, I feel like I'm still being mostly responsible, but get to have a little fun (or a lot of fun, judging by the number of dresses I bought with this year's refund...). Love those shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh I'll be practical and put it towards debt, but I'd really rather go on vacation... I want to go to Washington DC!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I try to reply to all comments by email!