Friday, February 1, 2013

Flowers for Kathy

You can't go to a wedding without noticing the flowers. Brides spend thousands of dollars and countless hours picking out the perfect bouquet. Sometimes, the flowers are dedicated to family and friends who could not be there on the special day.
Source

My flowers will be for Kathy.

Kathy and my mom have been friends for years. Over 30 years, probably. Kathy's son and I are only about a year apart, so I would spend a lot of time over at her house as a baby. Her son and I sort of grew up together until we went off to our respective preschools.

After Kathy and her husband divorced, and my parents divorced, I didn't see Kathy as much any more. Life happened and things got in the way. Particularly kids and work.

It wasn't until my mom ran into her just a few years ago that Kathy came back into our lives.

Kathy has always been so beautiful and bright. I always remember her being so cheerful. Nothing had really changed, but my mom did notice Kathy wasn't her normal self. What she would learn is that Kathy had recently been diagnosed with a rare disease, something in the Parkinson's family. I couldn't tell you specifically, but it's not good.

For a while, Kathy was not hindered by it. She could still get around. Her and my mom would go on walks, go shopping, go out. Normal stuff.

After a while though, the disease started to get more serious. The last few times I have seen Kathy, she was confined to a wheel chair, her mobility and speech were limited. But mentally, she was all there.

Kathy has been really lucky to be surrounded by people that love her so much through out all of this. She has a wonderful live in care taker, who has been a blessing in every sense of the word. My mom, bless her heart, has been a constant presence at Kathy's house. Coming over, just to visit, every week. I am sure that my mom's loyalty and friendship has meant a lot to her. Kathy also has family that lives near by and comes to visit as often as they can.

Not long after B and I got engaged, my mom told me that Kathy wanted to pay for our flowers for our wedding. I was completely shocked by her generosity, and told my mom it wasn't necessary. But I know Kathy was just doing this out of the kindness of her heart, and so that she could be, in a small way, part of our wedding.

And who ever ends up paying for the flower, it won't matter, because our flowers will be for Kathy. In her memory.

Kathy passed away last night.

I'm not sure how. Though I know she is in a better place. And while we are sad to lose a friend, I can't help but rejoice that she no longer has to suffer. Now we can begin to celebrate her life.

I mourn for her son. Who I hope got to see her one last time. He is a strong and very smart man, just like his mom, and I know he will be okay without her. But it's always hard to lose a parent, especially so young.

I pray for her family, too. Who I know have only gotten closer to her as her health deteriorated. And her friend and care taker, Leslye, who has spent nearly every day with her for the past couple years. Their lives have been made that much better for knowing her. Just as my mom's has, and mine.





5 comments:

  1. what a sweet story. thank you for sharing your heart today! it was definitely inspiring to hear about such a sweet lady.

    happy friday! xo, sarah grace

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful post about Kathy! It seems like she was a wonderful person, my prayers go out to you and the family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully written. Brought tears to my eyes...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing Kathy's story. She was truly an inspiration to everyone who knew, before and during her struggle with Multiple System Atrophy. After reflecting on that notion further, I'd have to add that she remains an inspiration to everyone - she loved in sickness and in health, as long as she lived. Beautiful flowers for you and for Kathy! - Erik

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post. I'm sorry for your loss. Kathy sounds like a wonderful woman, and I'm glad she came back into your life!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I try to reply to all comments by email!