I have seen those mantra shirts everywhere. Manifesto tees are some of my favorite, but not a huge fan of the price tag. So I thought I would try to make one myself. And it is so incredibly easy!
Materials:
T-shirt - I used an old American Apparel shirt and this bleached a lot easier than some old generic brand t-shirt I had left over from college.
Clorox Bleach Pen - I got this at Target in the laundry section near the detergent, not the bleach.
Chalk - or other washable writing tool
A piece of cardboard or plastic - Really anything to place inside the shirt so the bleach doesn't seep through.
Process:
1. Write your word or saying (or design) on the shirt in chalk.
2. Place your cardboard or plastic on the inside of the shirt under where your design will go.
3. When you are happy with the design, write over the chalk with the bleach pen. Make sure to read the directions on the back of the pen before you start. For instance, you will need to shake up the pen before using, or else it will be to runny. Let the bleach sit on the shirt for 10-20 minutes, or until the color fades. Note that depending on the shirt, the bleach may not completely remove the color and may only lighten it.
4. Rinse the bleach out of the shirt with cold water, then wash and dry as usual.
I will definitely be doing this again. Maybe for Christmas I will try to take on something like Lauren Conrad's Ho! Ho! Ho! sweatshirt.






I really like this! Your so clever to just do it on your own...I'd probably go try to buy it, but now...now I think I'm going to have to make one!
ReplyDeleteLove this!! It's a great rainy day project :)
ReplyDeleteOh man this is so cute. Dressing up for holidays is my absolute favorite thing to do!
ReplyDeleteThat turned out fantastic! I would have never guessed you didn't buy it that way.
ReplyDeleteI love this and it looks so easy :)
ReplyDeleteSuper fun! I might be trying this very soon... pinning today. I need something for this weekend ~ but I need a green shirt, first :-/
ReplyDeleteI found you today thru The Taylor House Linky. I hope you get a chance to stop by my blog and leave a comment, too!
~ Megin of VMG206
www.vmg206.blogspot.com
Nice work!
ReplyDeleteI will have to do this for my boys. They play sports, and to get a shirt printed for them is so expensive. I can't wait to show this to them, hopefully they won't want to bleach everything, LOL. I'm your newest follower via GFC . Please stop by and check out my blog. I'm still new, but trying to get my name out there.
ReplyDeletehttp://ticsblog75.blogspot.com/
this is awesome, I always wondered how easy it really was to do. now to improve my handwriting!
ReplyDeleteThis looks so so so good! What a great idea! Definitely going to try this!
ReplyDelete