A friend of mine is taking her first European vacation this summer
and had recently asked me for some advice on what to expect, what to
pack, what to wear, etc.
| The Sagrada Familia - Barcelona,Spain |
I have been lucky enough
to have done quite a bit of traveling in my lifetime, so, while I am no
expert, I definitely thought she could benefit from some of my
experiences.
1. Learn the language.
No, you will
probably not be able to become fluent in French before your trip to
Paris, but I guarantee that the locals will at least appreciate the
effort if you give their language a shot. Learn some key words and
phrases, like "Hello", "Goodbye", "Thank you", "Excuse me", "Where is
this?" (use when you need to point something out on a map), "How much
does this cost?", you get the idea. In some big cities, a lot of people
will speak English so you will be able to communicate, but at least try
it in their language first. They will realize your French is terrible
and save you the embarrassment and speak in English.
![]() |
| Eifle Tower - Paris, France |
2. Limit what you keep in your pockets or purse.
I bet your hotel will have a safe in it, so that is a pretty safe place to keep your passport and other important items, including extra cash, credit cards, memory cards, etc. Pick-pocketing is prevalent in any big city (foreign or otherwise) so be mindful of what you keep on you at all times. You do not need your passport just walking around the city, but you will definitely need it when you want to go home, so don't chance it by carrying it around with you. Basically all I carried around with me was a map, camera, and cash. I did not use credit cards at all (depending on what credit card you use, you will probably have certain fees), but I did use my bank card to withdraw money from an affiliated bank.
![]() |
| Buckingham Palace - London, England |
3. Bring a watch.
Unless you want to pay extra for foreign roaming service, you probably won't be using your cell phone. And since most people use their cell phone to tell time, bring a watch. Enough said.
| Monserrat - Barcelona, Spain |
4. Understand and embrace the culture.
Most of my
traveling abroad has been in big groups, and inevitably there are people
in those groups who compare everything to how it is done in the States.
Guess what. You are in a foreign country, things will not be familiar
or "normal" to you. And that is what this adventure is all about! So if
you go to Spain and order a tortilla, don't get all huffy and puffy when
they bring you what looks like an omelet. Tortillas are not the same in
Spain as they are in Mexico, and thus the U.S. Also, things like service in a restaurant, hours of business, or social interaction between the sexes or classes will probably be different than what you are used to. But that
is okay. Embrace the culture that you are in. Try new things. And don't
complain (especially aloud around locals) about "We would never do
this/eat this/see this/etc in the U.S"
![]() |
| Neuschwanstein Castle - Bavaria, Germany |
4. Use public transportation
Public
transportation is the cheapest and easiest way to get around a new city,
so don't be afraid of it. Yes, you will probably have to be extra
cautious about where you put your wallet (answer, not in your back
pocket). Definitely
study a map of where the stops are before you even step foot in the
subway station or on the bus. Pulling out a map or loudly discussing how lost your are is like standing under a bright blinking sign
that screams "TOURIST". Figure out where you want to go, which line you
need to take, and which stop to get off. If you do happen to get lost,
ask a nice looking local for help. I guarantee they will be willing to
help you. Just remember rule #1.
![]() |
| Gelato - Florence, Italy |
5. Don't eat at McDonalds
This isn't
really a rule, but I am pleading with you...DON'T EAT AT MCDONALDS! Or
any American fast food chain, for that matter. Why would you travel
thousands of miles to eat the same food you eat in the U.S.? It doesn't
make sense. And I bet the food in the country where you are visiting is
wonderful. Even if you "don't like Italian food". What you really don't like is the Americanized version of Italian food. So when you are in
Italy, try their food. I bet you will like it. Because it can be overwhelming to figure out where to eat, do your research before you go. Pick out a few restaurants in the city that you want to try before you even leave the States. But also keep an open mind to suggestions from the locals. They really know whats up.
I think those are enough tips for now. I am sure I will have more later.
What are your tips for traveling abroad?
Linking up with Travel Tuesday and Just Because Tuesday




Greetings from the UK! You have fantastic European recommendations, and I agree with them all! Try the food, embrace the culture, empty your pockets...
ReplyDeleteI have seen many American tourists miss moments in the UK because they don't follow tips like these!
Have a great week...
Cheers,
Belinda
www.foundlovenowwhat.com
Watch is a GREAT tip, especially if you are traveling by train since you can cut them so close. I am SO guilty of eating at McDonald's though, their ice cream and free wifi lure me in. Thanks for linking up with us for travel tuesdays! I just love your cute blog!
ReplyDeletelove the Eiffel pic and that Gelato?! crazy. awesome tips, agree with Alex, especially the watch and trying the local food. thanks so much for linking up!
ReplyDeletegreat post! i actually posted some of my old travel photos on my blog today - including sagrada familia and buckingham palace! and i actually had my wallet stolen on the tube in london - so i would definitely agree to not have all your money or cards with you in case that happens! have a back up plan. new follower from the just because link up :)
ReplyDelete-- jackiejade.blogspot.com
Those really are some great tips! My boyfriend has family on England.. But I don't think I'll be going there any time soon! I'm terrified of flying especially over oceans!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great post, these tips are incredibly useful for all types of travel :)
ReplyDeleteGreat tips! I've only been out of the country once and it was on a mission trip to Mexico. It drove me crazy how everyone was like "How sad that they have to live this way." and "No wonder they want to come to America" and other similar things. I was like "HELLO! Not everyone wants to be American!" Why do we have this idea that we're so much better than everyone? Ok. Sorry to get on that little soapbox.
ReplyDeleteThe biggest thing we were told was to keep our passport somewhere safe away from our money. They told us if someone steals from you, they want your money not your passport, but if they're together ....
Great tips!! I love all of them- and they are so true!! Especially the food one! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteGreat tips! I agree with all of them! especially learning the language. I always make sure to know a few key phrases from each country that I travel to.
ReplyDeleteHello from the blog hop! I Definitely agree with the watch comment! When I was in France I kept my phone off, I was so glad I brought a watch because I didn't expect to need one!
ReplyDeleteI always try to learn how to say at least "Thank you" in the new language. Oh and "toilet?" LOL
ReplyDeleteMy travel tuesday post: Some Snapshots Blog
Jess
I have never really been out of the country, but these sounds like wonderful tips whenever I finally make it out of the States. :) Thank you!
ReplyDeleteGreat tips! Good thinking on the watch. I bet a lot of people don't think about that one.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for this post. I think I said "That's right!" aloud to each point! I took one college semester of Italian and, although my Italian wasn't fluent, they totally appreciated that I tried, and even reciprocated in their own broken English. You're right, Italian food isn't the same as Olive Garden (I shudder). Thanks for linking up!
ReplyDeleteAll great tips... thank-you! But my favourite is the "don't eat a McDonald's!" I totally agree... when we were in Japan and could go anywhere we wanted for dinner, 16 out of 19 in the group chose McDonalds!!! Let me assure you, I was one of the ones who went for the Japanese food! You can eat McDonalds any time at home!
ReplyDelete