Tuesday, March 19, 2013

My Thoughts on Video Games

B plays video games. Halo, Call of Duty, FIFA Soccer, Arkam City. You name it, I bet he's played it.
I do not care that he plays video games. Actually, I will go one step further. I like that he plays video games.
No, I am not trying to earn brownie points or anything, I just don't really see the problem with B letting off a little steam now an then and playing video games.
Granted, B does not play into the wee hours of the morning or shirk off cleaning the kitchen to play his games. He is pretty responsible with it and doesn't go over board. It is a way for him to decompress after a long day at work. And now-a-days, these games are so social, that he will be playing and talking with his friends back in Dallas. It is probably the only way he keeps in touch with them. 
But I do feel like B gets unnecessarily judged when I mention it to other girls. I have had some tell me "I am so glad my husband/boyfriend/whatever never got into video games" or "You still let him play video games?"

Yeah, why wouldn't I? It's like any other hobby. I don't have a problem with him playing golf, why would video games be any different. And really, how different is it from spending hours on Pinterest?
No different at all, I say! Except for the violence.

Pinterest can be so violent.
I also appreciate that he does other things that I am not involved in. Maybe it's the only child in me, but I like having my "me" time. And when he goes off and plays Call of Duty or whatever the game of the moment is, I know I can spend a few hours on the blog, browsing Pinterest. or anything I want with out him bugging me or begging for attention (definitely the only child in me).
So, what do you think? Am I crazy? Does your significant other play video games?

4 comments:

  1. T games, on our computer so much Diablo III and Portal 2 happens in our house. I cant say anything because I spend hours crafting! Plus I play video games too sometimes, I like the distracton (and the control I have over peoples lives, Sims3 holla)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah! This is too funny. My husband goes through this need to play the newest NHL Hockey, MLB The Show, or PGA Golf video game for his PS3 every 6 months or so... we'll just spend a lazy Saturday at home... Me reading and him playing. It's fun :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think there's nothing wrong with playing video games! I would only never like it if it got in the way of more important things, like spending time together, cleanliness, or working.

    I actually plan COD myself, so we can usually play together! Granted, I don't play as much as him, and only play one or two games. But I know he enjoys it when I sit down and try to take part in what he enjoys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally feel the same way. It used to bother me sometimes when he would play for hours and hours when he should've probably been studying (or paying attention to meeee!) but once I realized it was his stress reliever the way mine is running or reading, it stopped bothering me. And like you said, when he says it's Assassin's Creed time, it means it's me time :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I try to reply to all comments by email!