Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Essentials for a Healthy Kitchen

There is nothing like an impending wedding to motivate a girl to eat healthy (she writes as she eats kettle corn straight from the bag).

But really, I have been a pretty healthy eater and cook for a while. By now it is just second nature and I have weeded out most of the unhealthy foods from our pantry and fridge. Okay, except for the kettle corn. And jelly beans.

I have found that the key is really to keep the good, healthy foods on hand at all times so that even when I am in a pinch I can make good decisions. Here are some essentials I keep stocked at all times.

1. Fruits and veggies. Yeah, this one is pretty obvious. But I always buy extra fruits and vegetables at the grocery store because I know that I can use them. I will chop up some spinach and mix it in with some meatballs, sprinkle some sliced apples with cinnamon for a treat, or shred up some cabbage to replace rice when I make teriyaki chicken. And if there are any veggies left over at the end of the week I roast them up and serve them with chicken or pasta.


2. Good oils. What do I mean by good? Well, oils like olive, coconut, and grapeseed. These are also known as monosaturated fats. I am not a huge fan of vegetable or canola oil or any polyunsaturated fats. I know a lot of people are afraid of fats, but I think consuming these good fats in moderation can actually be really good for you. Obviously, moderation is the key.

3. Chicken broth. I use chicken broth for a lot of things and none of them are to make soup. I will use it when making rice or quinoa to add a little flavor without adding a ton of oil. I add it to just about anything I cook in a slow cooker. I also use chicken broth when sauteing meat or veggies so that I don't add too much oil.


4. Wine. Other than drinking, I use wine a lot in the same way I use chicken broth. It adds flavor without adding extra fat. If you are like me, then you probably have a cup or so left at the bottom of a bottle that won't get drunk. You can also use wine in salad dressings, marinades, or reduced in a sauce.

5. Quinoa. This has become my favorite super food. I feel like it can be used for just about everything. It can replace pasta, rice, and even flour (as I tested making blueberry muffins). What I love about quinoa is that it is low in fat and high in protein. It fills me up way more than rice or pasta and is gluten free.

6. Greek yogurt. I use Greek yogurt as a replacement for just about any other dairy item. I never make anything with heavy cream anymore, instead I use Greek yogurt and skim milk. It can also replace butter in baked goods. But my favorite way to consume Greek yogurt is just with a little bit of honey and some berries.

7. Almond milk. I have unsweetened vanilla almond milk in the fridge at all times. I use it with my cereal, in my coffee, in baked goods. Whatever. Plain almond milk can be used in cooking as well as a replacement for cream.


8. Canned beans. I am definitely not advocating that we all become vegetarians because I eat plenty of meat myself and am not looking to give it up any time soon. But I do think there is some benefit in eating less meat. Often I either use beans in addition to meat or totally replace it in things like chilis, tacos, salads, etc.

Do you have any healthy kitchen essentials? I would love to hear about them!

Linking up for Google Friend Conect, Just Beacause Tuesday, Bloglovin Linkup

10 comments:

  1. Looks a lot like my kitchen. Except I pack it with vegetable broth :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE cooking with wine. I think it adds lots of depth (when done well). xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a good post - such simple ideas but things we don't always think of. I'm doing/using some of the things you mention but will need to try the others like almond milk!! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. love this!! I use a lot of these things too when I cook, it is amazing of how when you use these items, your food is way more flavorful! and healthier!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post, I learned a lot, seriously! Chicken broth instead of oils, going to start doing this. and Spinach sprinkled with some sliced apples and cinnamon, sounds like a yummy snack. Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love coconut oil! I've been too chicken to use Greek yogurt in place of dairy in cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All good pointers. I like to substitute greek yogurt for sour cream, I can hardly notice the difference anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are all in my pantry or fridge, except the almond milk.

    I sub greek yogurt for sour cream now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are all awesome suggestions!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your tips. I follow a lot of them already, but I do think I need to talk my husband into eating more beans.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I try to reply to all comments by email!