Thursday, May 23, 2013

How to use Craigslist without getting killed

Sorry, the title is a bit morbid. And we haven't heard a whole lot about the "Craigslist Killer" lately, but I know Craigslist can still be a scary thing for a lot of people. And that is why I am here to share with you the best way to buy or sell something on Craigslist without getting yourself killed.

I am living proof of it. I have bought and sold many things on Craigslist, and I am still alive and well. My first 4 apartments were practically all furnished thanks to Craigslist. And I have since resold a lot of that stuff. Everything comes full circle, isn't it wonderful?

So, here are some of my tips to make it a pleasant experience.

Tip #1 Don't be an idiot. Seems obvious enough, but you are going to get scammed or kidnapped if you are naive. "Oh, this lady is selling a brand new car for $100?!" Yeah, that's obviously a scam. Every time I sell something I get some bogus email about how the guy is out of the country and can't pick it up personally, so he is sending someone to pick it up with and if I could provide him with my address to send a money order. Or something equally as suspicious, like this email I got when I was selling an oversized chair and ottoman:
thanks for the getting back to me as well,i just want you to know i'm buying this item to make a great season greeting present for my cousin as i have not been able to meet up for the Xmas and new year present but i will be very busy and will not be able to come around to pick it up nor meet up and i really want to purchase it asap,so i really need a quick reply from you as I will only make the payment via paypal so as to protect both of us throughout the course of this transaction. I will add an extra so as to cover the shipping & handling charges via USPS Express Mail. I want your honesty in return to my faithfulness to you during this transaction.Your immediate response is really appreciated if you can end the listing asap."
Tip #2 Be overly suspicious. Yes, you may be wrong or a little paranoid, but that's fine. Selling your old TV for the full asking price isn't worth something bad happening. Refer again to the email above. 1) Why is he telling me this whole story about why he's buying the chair? I didn't ask him, and could honestly care less. Hell, if he wants to use take the chair apart and use the stuffing to make cheap stuffed animals, be my guest! 2) His English is a little weird, which makes me think that he is probably not even located in the US. It literally sounds like he typed something into Google Translator, and this is what came out. 3) Why the hell would I ship a chair through USPS? Does he know how much extra that will be? Clearly he's not really in it for the chair.




Tip #3: Only deal in cash. When selling, only accept cash. People will offer to wire the money to you or write you a check, but they are probably trying to scam you. When buying, I will only pay in cash because a check just has too much sensitive information on it, like my bank account number, name, address, etc. Even if they look legit, they could be one crazy mo-fo.


Tip #4: Don't be an idiot. Oh, I've already said that? Well, it bares repeating. I beg of you, do not tell someone who you are selling to or buying from that you are alone, single, no one knows where you are, etc. They don't need to know that. If anything, LIE! Like maybe casually mention that you live with your boyfriend who is an MMA fighter. Or your brother is stopping by later, oh, and he's a cop. Something like that. You know, not bad enough to scare off legitimate buyers/sellers, but would scare off the creepers.


Tip #5: Be accommodating, but not that accommodating. Obviously, there will be times where you will have to go to someones house, or have people come to your house. But you don't have to provide them with your address until the day that have told you they are picking it up. I often tell people to text me the day of and I will send them my address. Or if you are buying/selling something small like a camera or books, meet them somewhere. In public!


I know I make Craigslist sound like a dark and seedy place (which it can be), but as long as you go into with some caution you can make some extra cash or find some good deals.

Happy listing!

Linkin up with Just Because, Bloglovin Collective

4 comments:

  1. This is both hilarious and helpful...there are some crazies on Craigslist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, we've never done much at all with Craigslist--though we have gotten a few free cats through there. It is a bit of a scary place...

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are some real crazies on Craigslist.I have only used it once and it didn't work out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Craigslist and Freecycle have been amazing for us! I also use an email address entirely for the purpose of those groups, since my usual email address has my full name in it. My brother fixes up aquariums and sets up natural habitats in them as a hobby & then sells them on Craigslist - he uses a fake name but something that is easy enough to remember and flows naturally as he says it. I thought he was crazy, but makes sense so now I call myself "Rachel" when talking to people I have to meet.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I try to reply to all comments by email!