Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Met Gala Red Carpet

The Met Gala was on Monday night, and if you are not familiar with this event it is the closest thing to a costume ball meeting the red carpet. A lot of the celebs take this opportunity to go above and beyond the normal evening gown and wear something a little more daring and out-there .
 
This years Met Gala had a Punk Rock theme, which made for some interesting and pretty awesome looks. Now, for a normal red carpet, I would just list my best and worst and be done with it. The problem with the Met is that the looks are supposed to be a little crazy. So I came up with a rating system (yes, I was that bored yesterday). Basically, I gave points based on interpretation of the theme (10 points); fit of the gown (5 points); overall styling including hair; makeup, and accessories (5 points); and, finally, overall look (10 points). 
 
I won't list all of them, because it's a lot, but here are some of the best and worst:
 
Rocked it:
#1 (tie) [26 points] Sarah Jessica Parker  and Christina Ricci. These girls were my best because they really embraced the theme and did it well. I love Christinas overall look and styling, where SJP really took some risks that paid off.
 
#3 (tie) [25 points] Miley Cyrus and Anne Hathaway. Where they didn't get as many points for their interpretation of the theme, but I think they both look pretty impecable!
 
#5 (3-way tie) [23 points] Kristen Stewart, Gwen Stefani, and Sienna Miller. All of these really played up the punk theme and totally rocked it.
 
Close but no cigar:
22 points: Miranda Kerr and Stacey Kebler
21 points: Gwyneth Paltrow
20 points: Jessica Biel, Jennifer Lopez, Taylor Swift
 
Meh:
19 points: Katy Perry, Beyonce
17 points: Jennifer Lawrence
15 points: Cameron Diaz
 
Yikes:
#1 [7 points] Mary Kate Olsen. I am pretty sure she doesn't know what punk rock is judging by her look. If the theme were hippie chic it would totally work...sort of.
 
#2 [10 points] Nicole Richie. I think her and MKO got the same invitation because this is more hippie than punk. Even though I like the dress and it fits her perfectly...that hair totally ruined it for me.
 
#3 [11 points] Nikki Minaj. This dress is just okay on its own. But I feel like I would expect more from Nikki. She practically dresses in costume every day. This is just so boring!
 
#4 [14 points] Madonna. Yes, she totally embraced the theme. She might be the most "punk rock" looking person there. But come on, Madge! You're over 50. Put on a skirt! I heard an interview with her that said she wanted to show off her body. I totally get it. If I have her body when I'm her age, I would want to show it off, too. But not at the Met Ball!

Pictures from here, here, here, here

What do you think?

4 comments:

  1. I definitely agree with your choices! I'll have to go see what other people wore :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh. Miley, is a mess.
    as for Christina Ricci, she looks gorrrrgeous

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your rating system and completely agree with your assessment. Great post!

    Brittany @ Everyday Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  4. SJP is always one of the best dressed of the Met Gala! She gets it right ever year.
    I kind of like Nicole's look if she had done something different with her hair, but maybe I'm biased because I know her stylist.

    -Emmi
    http://emmicamille.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I try to reply to all comments by email!