Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Guest Post: DIY Recovered Porch Chairs


Today on of my beautiful sponsors, Rebecca, is sharing her chair cover DIY project. This couldn't come at a better time. Now that the weather is warming up, all I can think about it what to do with our little patio. Her project turned out so well, I am definitely inspired to try to recover chairs of my own.

I'll let Rebecca take it away, because she is a much better write than I. But when you are done, go check her out here, here, and here because she's awesome!!


Hi y’all! My name is Rebecca and I blog over at Caravan Sonnet! I am so excited to be here today and have loved getting to know Lindsey better this month. Isn’t she so sweet? I love her posts and am honored to be a sponsor! Isn’t that a wonderful part of bloggy world: the wonderful opportunity to meet some fantastic people! It is definitely my favorite part! *smiles* One of the things that I love are Lindsey’s DIY posts! I love thrifting and DIY’ing and today I thought I would share about some Goodwill porch chairs that my mom and I made over for our camp porch.
For a number of years our porch housed wonderful chairs that have been passed down through four generations that had been quaint but it didn’t provide a very comfortable sitting area. Enter in a wonderful find at Goodwill! Don't you just love thrifting? My mom and I found the chairs for the porch at a half price Thanksgiving Sale at Goodwill in 2010. There were four large chairs and three matching footstools. While they were in "struggling" condition we knew with a little lot of love and a lot of work we would show the treasure that they were! It took some time to wash, clean the chairs, repair rips in the fabric, paint, and get everything set up but after two summers the porch has come together like a dream! *smiles*
The first thing that we did was to take out the original stuffing from the cushions and then wash every cover (twice!). I had done some research and had learned that it was best to stuff pre-made fabric cushions while the fabric is still damp. This allows the fabric and the stuffing to mold together. I am not going to lie it took some energy to stuff those cushions!
After we stuffed the cushions we set them in the sun to dry while we went to work on vacuuming the chairs and washing the wood. We took wood paint and touched up the areas that needed to be touched up. Finally, we took muslin and covered the holes of a couple of the chairs.  It took us two summers to transport the chairs to our cabin in New York and to complete the above process but it was definitely worth it. In those two years I also found some additional (small) pillows that matched the chairs (at a Goodwill in another state!) and found some material that we made into additional pillows. Isn't the final product delightful?

 
Thanks so much for reading along today! I would love to meet y’all! To me the best thing about blogging is meeting others! I look forward to meeting y’all! Have a wonderful day!

3 comments:

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I try to reply to all comments by email!